Monday, November 28, 2011

Pork Loin smoking on an open fire....

Ok. so the fire's not open, it's contained in my Weber Kettle. So sue me.  Smoked pork, Mixed veg, and mashed potatoes for supper last night, carrying it to a friend's.





Pork Rub
  • 1-1/12 C kosher salt- Iodized Table Salt Will NOT do for this application.
  • 1T onion salt
  • 1T Garlic salt
  • 2 T Celery Salt
  • 2T paprika
  • 3T Black ground pepper
  • 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 c Black-strap molasses
  • 1tsp Mace
  • 1tsp Nutmeg (FRESHLY ground)
  • 1tbsp ginger

I put the rub on the meat on Saturday afternoon, but I made a newbie mistake- I forgot to RINSE the meat before I threw it on the grill.  The result was a little more salty than I like.  Smoked this with Kingsford Briquettes, and applewood chunks.  Everyone liked it, despite the salt.


Remember to RINSE your meat- at least 1/2 hour in fresh water with one change of water before it goes on the grill.
This was a 6 lb loin, and took 1 1/2 hours on two low fires with a water pan between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment