Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sunday - Made Ahead: Pulled Beef

I promise we'll get to Toad in the Hole next week.  Tonight, We're having the Pulled Beef I made Friday, along side the Pot Roast.

In the morning, I trimmed the 3lb chuck roast of fat and gristle, rubbed the meat down with Lipton Onion soup, and put the meat, along with the fat and gristle in the smaller of my two slow cookers. I let it cook for 8 hours on low.  I allowed it to cool for an hour or so while we ate, then removed the meat but not the fat or gristle, to the work bowl of my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer.  I used the Paddle attachment of my mixer to break down the beef, on low power.

The BBQ sauce included 1c Ketchup, 1/2c prepared yellow mustard, 1/4 c blackstrap molasses, and black pepper to taste.
I combined the ingredients in the sauce, and poured them over the beef I'd already broken down using the kitchen aid  paddle attachment. I stored the mixture in a large Ziplock bag in the fridge.  It looked a little dry, so I added 1 c of the broth from the slow cooker.  I think I let the beef go a little long in the mixer, there's more "mush" and less definition than I would like.  It's been marinating in the sauce for two days, the flavor should be great!

We'll have the meat on buns tonight, with Potato Salad and Coleslaw along side.  I might even have time to make a dessert.
Coleslaw cheat- Pre cut cabbage and bottled dressing or deli coleslaw
Potato salad cheat- Diced canned potatoes! Blanch these to take out some of the "canned"  taste.

Sorry- no pictures tonight- I had  no phone battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment